Portobello Town Hall is a Category B listed building on Portobello High Street.
The first public event in the venue was a concert in late 1914 to aid Belgian refugees displaced by the German invasion of Belgium.
Sir George McCrae, the former Member of Parliament, used the hall to recruit young soldiers for the Royal Scots in May 1915.
Edward Heath, who was to become Prime Minister, gave a speech to Young Conservatives at the town hall in March 1970.
The building was used as an event venue until 2019, when the city council closed it after the masonry and plasterwork were found in poor condition.
Hopefully, the Portobello Town Hall will open its doors in the next few years – read about the plans here:
Portobello Central – New Life for the Heart of Portobello.
The Lord Provost, Sir William Slater Brown, laid the foundation stone for the new building on 25 October 1912.
James Anderson Williamson designed the neoclassical style building at a cost of £8,000, and officially opened on 30 October 1914 by Lord Provost, Sir Robert Kirk Inches.